If we install any OS and want it to work smoothly and efficiently, we must keep it bug-free, resistant to malicious data, and up-to-date. Keep OS doing this all up to date. Windows 10 is the operating system from the Microsoft platform. If we are Windows 10 users and want our OS to work smoothly, we must keep it up to date. Consequently, updating our system regularly is essential for accessing the latest security patches, bug fixes, and performance improvements, which can help ensure it runs smoothly and efficiently. Windows 10 automatically check for updates if you are connected to the internet, and before installing updates, asks you to ask. Sometimes, it doesn’t update for many reasons; in this guide, we will Update Windows 10 Manually.
Microsoft constantly improves its platform and releases significant updates after regular intervals to improve performance by removing bugs and other vulnerabilities. Additionally, these updates often introduce new features and functionalities, enhancing the user experience and increasing productivity.
4 Ways to Update Windows 10 Manually
If windows 10 is not updating automatically, then you can download and install them manually by given few methods.
• Using the Settings App to Update Windows 10 Manually
The easiest and simple method is to update windows ten manually by using the setting app. Just go to the setting app and go to update to check whether your OS is updated or not.
Here’s how you can use the Settings app to update your computer to the latest OS build:
- To access the Settings app, press the Win + I hotkeys. If this shortcut does not work, you can utilize alternative methods to open the Settings app.
- Once inside the Settings app, navigate to the Windows Update option in the left panel.
- From there, click on the Check for updates button.
Now windows will check if any updates are available. If updates are available, then it will download and install automatically. Restarting your computer once it has successfully installed the updates would be best.
On the windows update page, there is also an advanced option. By clicking that, you can access other options like downloading updates over a metered connection, changing the active hours, and the types of updates you receive.
• Using the Windows Update Assistant
If you can’t check for windows updates through the windows settings app, you can also check for windows updates through the windows updates assistant. The Windows Update Assistant is a compact executable file that allows you to download feature updates on your computer without waiting for an automatic update. It ensures that you can promptly update your system to the latest version.
Follow the given steps to download and install the Windows update assistant;
- Go to the Windows update assistant download website.
- Click the Update now button. It’ll download the update assistant on your computer.
- Go to the download folder and open the downloaded file.
- Click Yes to the UAC that appears.
- Click the Update Now button to allow the computer to check the computer’s compatibility.
- Click Next and then Restart Now.
After you have done the above process, the windows update assistant will start downloading and installing updates. After the updates are installed on your PC, you will see a message. Specifically, this message will thank you for updating to the latest version of Windows and may also provide some information about the new features or improvements that have been added.
• Using the Microsoft Update Catalog
If you can’t install updates from the above methods or don’t want to use these methods, then Microsoft Update Catalog is another platform to download all types of updates of windows 10. Given is how to manually download and install windows 10 update using Windows Update Catalog.
- Open the Microsoft Update Catalog in any browser.
- In the search bar, type the KB number of the Update you want to download. If you don’t know the KB number, search for general terms like Windows 11 and 10.
- Click the Download button next to the Update you want to download. This will open a new window with the update download link.
- In the table, click any link and choose any location to save this updated file.
Now after the download is done, check the file. If it is an MSU file, then you can install it by double-clicking on this file. While on the other hand, if it is a CAB extension, which is probably a driver file, we will have to extract it first and then install it. You can extract this file by using any file extraction software.
If it is a CAB extension and you have also extracted it. Then you also need to install it manually by using Device Manager. For that, open the device manager and then go to that device which driver you have downloaded and want to update. Right-click on the device, choose update driver and then select Browse my computer for drivers.
After the driver is installed, you should restart your system for the changes to take effect.
• Using the Windows PowerShell
If you are not a new Windows user and have a good knowledge of computers, then updating Windows using PowerShell is more accessible than other methods. To update windows by using PowerShell, follow the given method.
- Open Windows PowerShell with admin rights.
- Type the following command and press Enter.
- Type Y and press Enter to confirm.
- If you get an Unsupported repository message, type Y and press Enter to confirm.
- Type the following command and press Enter. It’ll change the execution policy so you don’t see the import module error.
Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
- Next, input the following command and press Enter. Be sure to substitute “KB version” with the specific KB version of the Update you wish to install.
Get-WindowsUpdate -AcceptAll -Install -AutoReboot
Get-WindowsUpdate -Install -KBArticleID '(KB Version)'
We are sure that your windows 10 will be updated by using this method. To make your OS faster and more reliable, update all device drivers of your windows 10.