If you have installed Windows 11 on your PC and in an old HDD or accidentally installed it instead of SSD, you want to move this operating system to your SSD. Here we will show you how to use a free Migration tool to migrate windows 11 with the same optimizations and apps installed on your SSD so that it makes it ready for boot.
Reasons to move on to SSD
Windows 11 is a Microsoft-developed OS, which led to the next generation operating system; many users are updating their system to Windows 11 for its unique appearance, which is similar to MacOS, mainly the taskbar of Windows 11. Also, many users are updating their hardware, especially HDD, to SDD, for the following reasons.
- Performance: It can significantly improve boot speed and overall system performance by up to 10x; here is the brief about HDD vs. SDD.
- No need for a clean install: You will get a complete copy of windows 11 without changing your files, programs, and settings besides from the same settings of your installed apps.
How to migrate Windows 11 OS from HDD to SDD
If you want to migrate your windows 11 operating system entirely to SSD, we will use software, but you can use any software listed below;
- EaseUS Partition Master Free.
- Macrium Reflect 8 Free.
- DiskGenius (Free Edition)
- MiniTool Partition Wizard Free.
- AOMEI Backupper Professional.
- AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard.
- DriveImage XML.
- Clonezilla Live CD.
Here we will use the professional software AOMEI Backupper Professional.
It includes disk clone, system clone, and partition clone. There are some of its advantages below:
- Intelligent Clone: Under the default mode, it only copies the used sectors, and therefore, you can easily clone a larger HDD to a smaller SSD and boot from the cloned SSD successfully.
- Speed: It can speed up the reading and writing speed while you clone a disk to an SSD.
- Live Clone: It can operate the disk clone task in the background without affecting the regular use of a computer.
- Sector by sector clone: It will clone all sectors, whether used or not.
- Support Multiple SSD types and brands: It supports various types (SATA, NVMe, PCIe, M.2, U.2) and brands (Samsung, Seagate, WD, Intel, etc.)
- Different systems: It supports Windows 11/10/8/7/XP/Vista, etc.
That’s the short intro, and it’s the advantage of the above software, which we use below.
Preparations to Migrate OS to SSD
- Obtain an SSD with the correct form factor and interface
- Check the space used for HDD and SSD
- Make sure that your SSD is detected
- Firstly, Clean up the disk to get more space
- Then Backup important files
Migration of Windows 11 to SSD
Now you are using AOMEI Backupper software to migrate your Windows 11 OS and follow the given process to make successful migration.
- First, Download AOMEI Backupper Professional, and then install it and open it.
- Connect your SSD with the system which you want to be cloned.
- Select your previous hard drive(HDD) as the source disk you want to clone, then click Next.
- Select the SSD as the destination drive, then click Next.
Now you can speed up this process by marking the box in the left down corner of the software window.
After some time, your cloning process will complete automatically, and you can boot your system with this SSD
Migrate only OS to SSD
Using this software, you can only migrate your OS to your desired SSD destination.
Connect the SSD to your system. Download AOMEI Backupper Professional install and launch it. Choose Clone> System Clone instead of disk clone, as mentioned above.
Select the SSD as the destination drive, and click Next.
Click the start button, and don’t forget to check the SSD alignment box. It will start and will be completed after some time. And after the process, you can use this SSD for boot during restart instead of your HDD.
Now whenever you want to migrate or make a clone of your system, you can use this software and easily migrate your OS to your desired disk.
This software also provides the facility of disk cleanup and Backup.