If you are an Apple user, you can use your AirPods with devices other than your iPhone. Like another Bluetooth device, you can connect your AirPods to another device like your Macbook.
There are no restrictions that you can only use your AirPods with just iPhone. You can also connect them to any Apple product. In this guide, we will show you how to connect Airpods to Macbook, depending on how you’re already using the AirPods. Here are two methods that help you to connect AirPods to your Mac.
Connect AirPods to a MacBook if you don’t use them on an iPhone
If you never use your AirPods with your iPhone or they are new and unused, you can directly connect them to your Mac. Follow this guide to connect AirPods directly with your Macbook.
- Open the lid of the charging case of your AirPods; don’t take them out from their case.
- Press the button at the backside of the case until the status light flashes.
- On your Mac, click the Apple icon in the menu bar at the top to open the Apple menu.
- Click System Preferences.
- Now click Bluetooth in the system preferences windows.
- Now you will see the list of Bluetooth devices, find the Aidpods you want to connect, and then click connect.
- Once your AirPods are paired with your MacBook, they appear at the top of the Devices list.
Connect your AirPods to your MacBook if you already use them on your iPhone.
Apple AirPods are designed to automatically connect with your Mac if you use the same ID on your MacBook and iPhone.
- Open your AirPods case.
- Now in your Macbook, click on the volume icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Now find and click on your Airpods in the Output Devices section.
If the pairing process fails, you need to enable a few settings. To do this, click on the Apple icon in the menu bar, and select “System Preferences” to open the System Preferences panel.
- To ensure that you’re using the same Apple ID on your iPhone and Mac, click “System Preferences” and then “Apple ID” to confirm that you’re signed in and using the same ID.
- Make sure Handoff is turned on. In the System Preferences window, click General, and make sure there is a checkmark next to Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.
- Now check that the Volume icon in the menu bar is properly appearing. You need to turn it on if there is no volume icon in the menu bar. In the System Preferences window, click Sound and then click the checkbox next to Show Volume in the menu bar.
Troubleshooting AirPods That Won’t Connect
If, by using the above two methods, you can’t connect your AirPods to your Macbook, then there are a few more things you need to do;
1. Ensure that your AirPods are charged
First, charge your AirPods if they are running low on battery. Place them in the case, plug a USB cable connected to power into it, and charge them for 1-2 hours.
2. Make sure your Mac is up to date
To install the first-generation AirPods, you will need macOS Sierra or later and macOS 10.14.4 or later for second-generation AirPods.
3. Re-pair the AirPods to the Mac
If, at first, you cannot connect your AirPods to the Macbook, then you should re-pair them with Macbook.
4. Reset your AirPods
To reset your AirPods, press and hold the button on the back of the AirPods case for a minimum of 15 seconds. Release the button when the status light begins flashing amber.
5. Restart your Mac computer
If, during the pairing process, you face any problem, then restarting your Macbook can resolve this problem, and I hope after restarting, it will work correctly.