Microsoft launched Windows 10 in 2015. Microsoft then replaced its older version of windows 8 and windows 7 with windows 10. Moreover, it was equipped with unique new features and demonstrated high performance. But if you haven’t activated it with the product key, then it will not give its full features, and you can’t enjoy all features of windows 10. Activating them is necessary to download even critical security updates and many apps. And also can’t customize the desktop. Furthermore, Windows will periodically send you messages to activate your copy, which can irritate you. So it is essential to know How to check and activate Windows 10.
The given article outlines a few methods to check and activate Windows 10.
Check Windows 10 Activation Status
First, we should know whether our OS is already activated, then we can perform further.
The article presents several methods for checking the activation status of Windows 10.
1. Check Activation Status through System Window
The easiest way to check your windows 10 activation status is through the system windows, as shown below.
- To access the Settings option, use the keyboard shortcut Win + X or search for “Settings” in the Start menu.
- Locate the “Activation” section on the left-hand side of the Settings window.
- At the top of the “Activation” section, under the Windows category, you can view the status of your Windows 10 activation, including whether it is activated or not.
Here you will also see an option to change the product key. This you will need when you are upgrading from one edition to another.
2. Check Activation Status through the Command Prompt
You can use the command prompt to check the activation status of your windows.
- You can open the Command Prompt by pressing Win + R, typing “cmd,” and then press Enter. Alternatively, you can search for the Command Prompt in the Start menu.
- After the CMD opens, enter the given Command and hit the enter button.
- After hitting the Enter key, a new window will appear on Windows, revealing the activation status. My laptop displays the Core edition because it uses the Home version. However, the window will reflect the changes if the Pro version is used.
In addition, this is a simple and straightforward method to check if your copy of Windows 10 is activated.
3. Check Whether Windows 10 is Activated Using Run Command
Running a command in the Run program allows for a direct check of the activation status of Windows 10.
- Press the Win + R buttons on your keyboard.
- In the search box, type
slmgr.vbs –xprand hit Enter or click OK. Note that there is a space between
Then, you can see the activation status of my windows 10 copy.
How to permanently activate your windows 10 for free
After confirming that your windows are not activated, we are moving toward our next step. Now we should purchase the product key to activate our windows. But that is too expensive, and many people can’t afford it. In this guide, we will show you how to activate your windows 10 permanently for free by using CMD.
Permanently Activate Windows 10 with CMD
You maybe see many methods to activate windows 10 with the help of third-party software, but today we will show how to activate your windows 10 enterprise edition for life by CMD.
- To access the Windows Run box, use the keyboard shortcut Windows key + R. Once it opens, type “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch and operate the Windows Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- After you enter into Windows 10 Command Prompt, you can copy and paste this command line: slmgr.vbs /upk, in the Command Prompt window. Hit Enter to execute the Command.
- Next, copy and paste this command line and hit Enter to install the Windows 10 product key: slmgr /ipk <Windows 10 activation key>. Replace the “Windows 10 activation key” with the genuine license key you buy or find online for Windows 10 OS.
- Then type slmgr /skms zh.us.to command line and hit Enter.
- Copy and paste slmgr /ato and press Enter to activate Windows 10 for free with CMD.
How to Activate Windows 10 Pro with CMD
Step 1. Click the Windows key and type cmd, right-click Command Prompt app, and then click on Run as administrator.
Step 2. Copy and paste the following command line in the Command Prompt window and click Enter. If you buy or find the activation key for Windows 10 Pro, you can replace the “Windows 10 license key” in the command line after slmgr /ipk.
slmgr /ipk <Windows 10 license key>
Step 3. Type the following command lines, and remember to hit Enter after you type each line.
slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in
Now you can check and activate Windows 10 by the methods given at the start of this guide, and if you want, you can also install a new copy of windows 10 on your system.